Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recollections

Dr Murari Mohan Goswami was one of our dearest friends. His passing away so early has not only been a great shock but a personal loss to me in particular. I knew Murari from my early days in BE College ie 1954! We were together for all the four years, particularly in the final year we were in Pandya Hall in the same wing in rooms close by.We also have class friends living in Salt Lake like Dinabandhu Mukherjee (Block CD), Bibhuti Bhusan Chakrabarty (Block BD) who even studied ISc with him in Presidency College during 1952-1954.

He was always very regular in his studies and kept a good track of whatever is being taught in the class on a day to day basis . This was a rare quality. He was not just a freind but a philosopher and guide as well for me. During our early days in Shibpur I remember many occasions when I used to go to his room in the evening and take guidance from him. He has been helpful not only to me but to all those who approached him. He was friendly to all I have never seen him going into conflict with anybody. He was " Ajatshatru" in the true sense of the term.
Pl remember those were the days about 60 years back when there were no XEROX, no COMPUTER and of course no INTERNET. So following the lectures carefyully and taking class notes meticulously were your main assets. We all knew Murari was dam good in it.. We had studied in a a much harder way as compared to today.

Of late when I decided to pursue my PhD at a late stage in life Murari encouraged me and helped me a lot.. Not like some other good friends who said " ei boyeshe ar o shob kore ki hobe". Murari understood my Philosophy that pursuit of knowledge has perhaps a lasting value and cannot be evaluated in trms of what tangible return you get out of it.. When I used to hear compliments about Dr Goswami from friends in IIT-KGP or TRF I used to feel proud that Murari and I studied together.
Murari was one of the first to send me his kind note of Congratulations on my obtaining PhD in Engineering and getting the recognition from Cambridge, England as one of the TOP ENGINEERS 2009. I am personally grateful for his continuous encouragement and support.
May the great soul of Dr M M Goswami rest in eternal peace.

Debu Kar

No comments:

Post a Comment